You would think after being here for so long we would run out of things to write about, but this past week has been quite different from the others and included a few obstacles along the way. First off it was the first full week that Steve and I are here on our own; trying to move the schedule along and wrap things up has been exhausting to say the least. It seems as if the to do list doesn't get any shorter.
Construction this week focused on the first real step towards building the roof structure. We managed to assemble the sill plate and all the rafters for the main roof before we hit a problem. In order for the sill plate to rest on the concrete ring beam it has to be fastened together with rebar; so holes had to be made through a stack of three 2"x6" which make up the plate. If you remember from our previous blogs, tools in this place are hand to come by. So when we were able to borrow a drill from Kwame (the local welder) we were anticipating a quick job. A few holes in and the drill bit got stuck in the hardwood. The workers kept pushing it to the point that it started smoking and the motor burned out. And that's why we can't have nice things. Needless to say the rest of that day slowed down and was spent trying to repair the drill and manually make the holes. It was frustrating to spend an extra day making holes than we had originally planned for, but we managed to get the primary pieces of the sill plate up onto the walls.
Obstacle one handled...and unto the next one.